We made these wonderful smelling ornaments last night, and it was so much fun.
You will need: 1 cup cinnamon, 3/4 cup applesauce, 1 Tblsp. nutmeg, 2 Tblsp. glue, lots of cookie cutters,
and one sweet helper. Combine the cinnamon and nutmeg. Add the applesauce and glue. Knead until it's the consistency of cookie dough. I had to add a little more applesauce to mine, because it was crumbly. Remember these are non-edible, so as long as you can roll them and cut them out, you can't mess them up. Once you've formed your ball of dough, lay out a large piece of wax paper, sprinkle some cinnamon or nutmeg on top of the wax paper and begin rolling out your dough. I sprinkled cinnamon on top of the ball too, just to prevent the dough from sticking to the rolling pin.
Begin cutting out your ornaments and place them on a cookie sheet. Use a straw to add the hole at the top for stringing later. Bake at 200 degrees for about 2 hours. I flipped them half way through.
They turned out amazing! You can double the recipe to make 36 ornaments.
Our whole house smells like Christmas now, and they hold their scent for years.
We left ours undecorated. I like them better this way.
But, you could add wiggly eyes and rick rack to the gingerbread boys.
I would roll them out thicker, rather than thinner, just to prevent cracking. Some of mine were thinner than others, but so far, none of mine have cracked. They would make beautiful package tie-ons too. I am sure that you can guess that Cayden's favorite was the elf.
While I was adding the ribbon to the ornaments, my favorite people were busy watching football :)
Happy Holidays!

No comments:
Post a Comment